Job Title: Utility PSS – Senior Power Systems Engineer
Reporting To: Team Leader / Sector Head
The purpose of this position is to provide engineering, technical and practical expertise to deliver the services that Clean Technology Partners provides to their clients in the Power Systems sector.
You shall display a high level of initiative and problem-solving ability to satisfy internal and external clients’ demands in an efficient manner.
- Be a primary technical point of contact at Clean Technology Partners for Power System Modelling for internal and external queries.
- Maintain familiarity with updates related to power system modelling software packages and National Electricity Rules (NER).
- Maintain your MV/HV Electrical engineering knowledge.
- Maintain protection knowledge and system design knowledge.
- Maintain knowledge of existing and new inverter control schemes and model debugging etc.
- Lead the utility scale power system modelling team with power system modelling for grid connections in-line with current Australian Standards, National Electricity Rules and best practice. This includes:
- System concept design (Primary & Secondary Design)
- Power system modelling using PSS/E, PSCAD, PowerFactory & PSS/SINCAL
- Steady-State Analysis (Load Flow / Short Circuit Studies)
- Dynamic Analysis (Transient Response / Control System Analysis)
- Preparation of DNSP Grid Connection application documents and technical reports
- Interface with product suppliers for technical information
- Interface with clients and NSPs/AEMO for information gathering and technical discussions
- Design, document and deliver renewable energy (primarily solar PV) low and medium voltage infrastructure/equipment project. This includes:
- MV switchgear design (up to 33kV)
- Transformer specification & design
- MV cable specification and design
- CT / VT specification
- Protection, control and metering schemes
- Maintain the Power System modelling software packages licenses and maintenance agreements ensuring all software is up-to date and properly maintained.
- Resolve all hardware / software conflicts with the Power system modelling software. Liaising with and contacting CTP’s IT support staff to resolve all issues within good time.
- Collect relevant engineering information for Power System modelling / PV systems / grid connection schemes.
- Contribute to continual improvement of CTP standard documentation and engineering system tools (spreadsheets, standard documents, etc).
- Maintain an excellent level of interaction with clients and external parties.
- Excellent level of written English report writing.
- Other duties as required from time to time.
Skills Required – Critical
- Inspired and motivated to work in renewable energy sector.
- Logical problem solver and decision maker. Must be solution driven.
- Understanding of Electricity Distribution Systems and Power System Software (PSS/E, PSCAD, PowerFactory & PSS/SINCAL).
- Understanding of National Electricity Rules (NER) and working of various NSPs in Australia.
- Ability to interpret power system analysis results.
- Good English writing and presentation skills.
- Understanding of aspects related to Project Management.
- Ability to make electrical design decisions and recommendations.
- Degree qualification in electrical engineering with at least 5 years of work experience.
Skills Required – Desired
- Previous experience in a Network Service Provider is highly advantageous.
- Understanding of Solar PV and / or Inverter Energy Systems.
- SCADA/Communications system knowledge.
- Skilled at Technical and Economic Assessment.
- Experience working in a consultancy environment or similar.
- Firm understanding of medium voltage systems.
- Firm understanding of electrical design and systems.
- Ability to read and produce electrical SLDs (LV / MV).
- Familiar with AS/NZS 3000, AS/NZS 3008, AS 2067.
Since 2011, Clean Technology Partners have been at the forefront of engineering technology for the renewable energy industry in Australia. We are known for creating innovative solutions for Australia’s largest, toughest and most complex solar PV projects. You will get to work in the fastest pace industry in Australia, surrounded by a positive team passionate about renewables.
We offer exciting opportunities to experienced professionals, recent graduates, and students.
We offer many benefits to ensure your professional development & wellbeing:
- Professional and technical development opportunities
- Flexible working arrangement
- Open, honest, positive and future-focused team
- Diverse environment
- Modern offices
- Socially responsible employer: pro bono work, sustainable sourcing, green energy among others
- And more: free weekly sport training, premium coffee, Friday drinks
We are committed to build a flexible, diverse and inclusive workplace.